View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Now I put lip gloss under my nail and Vaseline on my finger first.

The vet doesn't think it warrants further investigation, I guess it will end in surgery to correct and the problem does not outweigh the risks at this time.
I would be very concerned about the ingredients of the lip gloss and regular ingestion of Vaseline. Neither one is good for dogs to ingest.

If a vet thought this problem doesn't warrant further investigation, I would run to another vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I also had a dog with a tumor in his throat, (last year) it was blocking his throat and airway, we had it tested which turned out to be cancer. We then had a biopsy which caused his throat to swell. They could tell before they took the biopsy how bad it was but they did it anyway. There was nothing to be done because of all the tiny things in there. But because of the biopsy his throat swelled up so much that he couldn't eat at all and when he just walked across the room he would have to lay down and lick his paw to calm down enough to breath. It was so terrible we had to put him down. If I could have let him suffer a couple of weeks for the biopsy to heal up (if it did) he might have made it a few more months.

For some reason, I had not thought about Quattro through this. It is not like that at all, but thinking back about my darling Quattro and how we made him suffer the last few weeks of his life - which they did nothing to make him feel better, only scaring and hurting him. Quattro [5/22/05-5/21/15] I am tearing up now thinking about those last few weeks.

I thank you for reminding me of that. I will gladly and as gently as possible push down every bite he takes and carry him everywhere to make sure he doesn't eat a thing I don't give him to keep him from that suffering. And if it is his time to go, he can go knowing how much we love him and without going through the horror of being left with strangers, caged up for days and being hurt and tortured.

I guess I had completely put Quattro's suffering out of my mind. Their tiny throats are not easily worked on. Now I understand what the vet was indicating.

I now ask for your prayers that Beau will be fine. Maybe he has an allergy or ate a bee or something that caused that part of his throat to swell. I know this is not what you wanted, but you have helped me more than you will ever know. I can't thank you enough for making me think about this thoroughly.

We also lost Bronx [03/20/04-3/08/2016] to cancer this year. His was also inoperable, some real bad kind, not the same strain as Quattro's. He was given 6 months and lived almost two years. He woke up that morning and threw up about 7am. I put a towel under his head and told his dad he was sick, he walked in there and sadly-he had already passed away. They were best friends.
Without diagnostic tests -- bloodwork and imaging and physical exam, there is no way of knowing. He could have something very easy to cure, but you won't know if tests are not done.

I'm never thrilled about handing my dogs over to the vet. I also have a fear of going to vets I don't know, like at the ER. One time I thought Max was choking and I had to rush him to the ER. Turned out that he simply had an inflamed throat, but he needed antibiotics to take care of it.

My dad had a mini dachshund who had a problem swallowing and it turned out that he had a sewing needle lodged in his throat. The needle was removed surgically and he lived a full life.

There are always risks with healthcare for both dogs and humans, but the risks of not getting care are far worse.

Find a competent vet you can trust and who will discuss things with you, and help you make informed decisions.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!