View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMia
Thanks Sue, the topline is one of the things that concern me. How soon can I see it's correct? I've heard they're breeders that hold on to the pup past 6 months to determine if they have potential or not how true is this?
You are absolutely correct, to determine show quality they should definitely be over 6 months. 9 months or more is better. The reason is that in Yorkies in particular you not only have the structure, movement, conformation, also you have coat type and colour and size of the mature Yorkie to worry about. Even at 9 months, there is a risk there could be colour change that it goes too light or you could get running gold into the blue. Size at 9 months is usually much more precise by then whether it is too big or small. You want to be sure the head is going to clear colour to a varigated tan.
An earset doesn't usually change except the ear themselves can suddenly flop when teeth are coming in, either baby teeth as a baby or second teeth that usually erupt once they are 5 or 6 months of age. Toplines that start out good on a very young pup don't usually go off. If it does, often it will come back again as the growth continues to a mature dog.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!