View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo15 View Post
They're both the same age (1 month apart) so they have been eating like this for a while, I'm really trying but this habit is so hard to break. When I picked up the little one the breeder told me he only ate with his sister/littermate so I think he's been doing this since the day he was born. I even tried putting a little chicken in the smaller one's dish but he still went to the other one's dish. I tried holding him while the other one ate and then put him down and picked up my bigger one and he would not eat. As far as walks, I'm trying to do longer/more frequent walks but he's lazy, he lays down after walking for 5-10 minutes. The little one would walk all day long if he could. The bigger one will definitely eat by himself. I'm just worried that my smaller one will starve. People have told me not to worry and that he will eat when he gets hungry enough but I'm not sure that he will...
This is true, your little one will eat when he get gets hungry enough. I would feed the bigger pup first, when he's finished remove him from the room where they eat or leash him up so he cannot get to the other food, offer the little guy his food, like Ann (Wylie's Mom) suggested sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on the food, most ALL dogs love this cheese, I would leave the bow down for 10 minutes, if the little guy does not eat the food pick it up and try 30 minutes later. If you feed twice a day I would start this method in the morning and continue picking up his food until he finally eats. It is US that cave in, we think they will starve them selves but they won't. This is years of habit and it will take a while to break this habit. One pound to loose does not seen like a lot, but for a dog it is. Your big one must loose this weight and both eating from the same dish he will never loose it unless you increase his exercise, I had to laugh at his laying down on walks, I had a little girl do this when I changed their walking route, they are so cute lol. How about increasing his play time, throw a ball or his fav.toy and let him fetch it, do this for 5 minutes every day, and increase the time gradually.

Last edited by matese; 08-23-2016 at 02:53 PM.
matese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!