View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #21
whispersmom2
Inactive Account

The info here is accurate up to a point. In-breeding does mean close relatives such as same generation or back only one -such as daughter to father. Daughter is gen #1 and her father would be gen #2. Further back than that is called line-breeding but they still mean that relatives have been bred. It is just how close the relationship is. JMO
Your vet will not be the best source of info about pedigrees. There are some things that a pet owner needs to ask an experienced breeder and this is one of those instances. JMO
I just read back over this post, and I don't make a whole lot of sense, do I? Anyway, the pedigree for Taz does show some breeding to relatives, but since this is a pet pedigree, I would not worry about it. If, you are planning to use Taz for breeding, then the other parent should not be related to Taz. Show breeders and those who have studied the genetics of a line can breed relatives quite successfully because they have a specific goal and have researched the best genes to use to reach that goal..
whispersmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!