View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
RockyDad
Yorkie Yakker

Default Advice on Vet Care

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice on Veterinary care. I've been going to Banfield Hospital, it's a corporate veterinary clinic found through out the country with PetSmart Stores. I signed up for their annual plan, free vet unlimited vet visits, all puppy vaccines, multiple fecal tests, a few other diagnostic tests, neutering and bloodwork prior to neutering for around $550 for the year which I thought was a great deal considering one of the local Vets in a private clinic by my house was charging $50/visit and around $90/vaccine. So we signed up for the year. Now we need to get about 13 teeth pulled and we want to do this at the same time of his neutering and the vet quoted us an estimate of around $370 to have those teeth pulled. I just saw an ad in our local paper advertizing another smaller chain of animal clinics that will neuter for $89 and will pull the teeth for $130. My only concern is that we like our current vet and trust him, he's older and has been in practice for 36 years. I read some reviews online about both places and it seems like our current vet has a few negative reviews about him getting old and not being "on top of his game" anymore becuase he miss diagnosed a few skin conditions. Also he likes to over prescribe antibiotics which I think is a bad thing as well. However, after reading the reviews of this other hospital, they've had some animals die because of allergic reactions, one was to a vaccine, the other was a kitten who died while getting spayed, another reported having to bring her cat back to the office because the abdominal incision kept re-opening. So I am in a dilemma, I would like to save $240 dollars, but I don't want to kill my dog because I was cheap. Granted a lot of other people posted great reviews about that cheaper Animal clinic and love the doc there. Also allergic reactions can happen anywhere and a dog can react weird to anesthesia and die anywhere. So what would you guys do? I will ask my current vet for a discount since everyone else seems to charge so little for teeth extraction compared to him, but because it's a corporation I think the prices are set and he won't be able to change them.

Your advice appriciated.
RockyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!