View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieAdeline View Post
Thank you. Okay - i really gotta get some dehydrated lamb lungs lol Is it okay for puppies? I was thinking 'carrots' but that would make me really boring after a while..

I am super glad you mentioned the frozen stuff. I never heard of it before but Orijen has the treats called frozen red and other flavs. I don't even know what it means "frozen", like you get it frozen? Or you freeze it?
I have friends who feed only carrots because their Yorkies had really bad cases of diarrhea in the past and were afraid to feed any treats at all. Only thing is, sometimes they don't really digest the carrots, so you'll see little lumps of it in their poo, so don't be alarmed

The dehydrated lamb lungs worked for my little one who had stomach issues, but what works for one may not work for another. I would highly recommend that whatever treats you choose whether dog treat or carrots to only give it in moderation. If puppy, I'd give like a pinch a day to make sure nothing goes wrong. But always, never too much. One pet store lady actually made fun of me because she saw how little of the treats I was giving. She teased that I was being stingy for giving 'lint-sized' pieces But trust me. You want to prevent puppy/dog diarrhea whenever possible. Sometimes it'll be a day, sometimes it could last a week - then it's really scary !!

For the freeze-dried stuff, I'd stay away from the ones labelled as 'treat's. Treats often contain a higher liver, because dogs love the smell and taste of liver. Given too much liver will cause loose stools and get them sick (unless you're lucky enough to get a rare Yorkie with an iron stomach). Stick to the dinner patties, if it's available where you live. Basically the freeze-dried stuff is raw food processed in a way that was never cooked. You'll have to Google it for a better description But feeding raw is a relatively new concept where many dog nutritionists believe is better for dogs. It's expensive in the long run, so I stick with kibble.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!