Thread: Yorkie fever?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
ALL my puppies I had when they were just 8 weeks old, so they were not rescues. My first two girls I did not have spayed, BIG mistake, they were so tiny, just wee lil babies, the thought of putting them "under the knife" horrified me, my 3rd baby I bite the bullet put my fears behind me and had HER spayed at 6 months, ok'd by my vet. My first girl was 14 yo when she passed, she got Pyometra MY FAULT FOR NOT HAVING HER SPAYED. My second un-spayed girl at age 10 yo also got Pyometra and passed away,AGAIN MY FAULT. The baby passed at 13 yo, kidney failure. When the two older ones passed the baby who was the 6 yo grieved for 7 months, I HAD to get her a BFF. That girl was 17 yo when she passed, so it is hard to estimate how old they will live to be. I would say it all depends on the health of the dog in general. My last girl had Cushing disease for appox. 7 years, she was on meds for those 7 years, you would never know that girl had a serious illness, she was a LARGE yorkie weighed in at 17 lbs. lived to be 17 yo. I now have my rescue boy, he was 2.5 yo when I got him, he is with me 2.5 years now making him 5 yo. He is healthy, has allergy's which is something new to me, my passed girls never had this. Feed your baby a good quality food, if you see he is not acting normal, not eating or drinking water, take him to the vet. Take him for his yearly physicals and keep him updated with his vaccines. I wish you many more years with your baby.
Live n learn huh! I was super scared to have Casie spayed as well because she was so tiny at 8 months, but I asked my vet a thousand questions (even requested that they put a towel on the surgery table and not stretch her legs too much because I read that otherwise, they may develop incontinence issues - vet must have thought I was crazy!). Even for Scottie I had felt so much regret after neutering him - it was a strange feeling of knowing I 'did the right thing' but still feeling horrible about it at that time.

Matese, that is so sad to hear that your third girl grieved for 7 months!! Poor baby girl! I've only had one previous dog, and she was a pet store dog, purchased in the early 90s as a family pet (before the time of the internet where I had no idea what puppy mills were); she was around 7 lbs during her peak time, surprisingly lived to 19 years and was raised with not-so-high-quality dog food. I myself grieved for a good 3 years, crying each time at the thought of her...(love u always my little Bibi) .

By the time I was ready for a new dog, I came here and have learned so much about the Yorkie breed on this forum (really, thank you to all the experienced members here!!). I made sure to get a good breeder, feed high quality food, etc etc. With all the 'homework' I've done, I can only wish that both Scottie and Casie will live until 15 years+! I guess there really is no guarantees, but we just have to do what we can to make sure they're healthy! When I first got Casie, I wondered how sad she would be if the day came and Scottie had to leave us. OHmygosh I can't bear the thought of that now. Scottie's my boy! He's my sweet sweet sweet boy! Love him so much sometimes it hurts! He's never leaving me, nope!

Here's a silly before and after photo of them...hahaha...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHCwyllj...cottieandcasie
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!