Thread: I want a dog
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Wow that sounds ideal your fathers spot. Now remember the exercise guidelines. No weave polls until growth plates close. Keep the jumps to ankle height, and no fast running on wet grass.
I would wait until at least one year old to neuter I know the breed has hip dysplasia but there are likely other disorders. Remember we have that big report on here about genetic issues she's by breed. I posted one and ladyjane posted one.

Enjoy your new addition!
Your encouragement is very positive for me, thank you Gail it is just an indoor puppy play set to start and we are being light on the retrieves too. Trying to use the two minute training rule right now since we are talking about an eight week old. I really like Jane Killions puppy culture excercise guidelines to and have been using that as a reference. I am really concerned about the spay/neuter growth plate conundrum it sounds like we could x Ray at twelve months and hope they are closed but are likely looking at eighteen months for full growth plate closure- and especially with labs tendency to have hip issues (you should have seen the bone length on his papa- those were some long lab legs... ) of course the training facility require spay neuter by six months- just like dang near every other one does. There is a training facility that offers confirmation about two hours away from us but this boy is not a confirmation boy, he is a sweet little guy who had a rough start whose sole purpose in life is to be a family dog/ the potential agility interest is to keep the kids engaging and to have classes to move up to after we complete puppy and obedience one through three (they also off some open agility courses monthly and man does it rain around here). I showed my husband information on growth plate concerns but I know the idea of waiting to neuter at eighteen months still sounds pretty daunting.

Last edited by Lilah Charm; 08-02-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Lilah Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!