Thread: I want a dog
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Sun

I can understand her sentiment but oh you are so correct. It is such a bigger commitment, so much more an experience then that clip on the commercial. It is not a decision that effects your family occasionally, it is an every day, every moment kind of choice to have a dog JOIN your family. That decision dictates how long you stay out, where you go and where you don't go. Having a dog changes everything, it really is like having another child. And a dog for your children to love on is a great idea- but such a singular dimension of the vastness of cleaning, feeding, training- basic maintenance.

When I chose Lilah to join my family there were so many reasons she fit my life. She was a very meticulously, well planned addition and she is absolutely mine. She has been a perfect fit and my dream would be to get her a sister yorkie and show her.

About a month ago, my family had a sweet little black lab puppy join us- hopefully for the next 8-12 or even 14 years. His name is Sam and Sam had some troubles with his family before he came here- he came to our home earlier than a puppy should after being bottle fed and was able to stay with his brother and his dad luckily to gain some social skills until almost five weeks - and that is its own story, but anyhow- and I am definitely still reeling about this change and wrapping my head around what it means for me, my family and for Lilah. It is so big. Everyone is happy and everyone is working hard and I am proud of them. We had some weeks of shoe bleaching and puppy milk and nighttime puppiness (and this is the small stuff- the whole baby nurturing thing I have down, it is the running, slobbering, energy, I have asthma thing that seems daunting to me) and even an already planned yearly family camping trip with our church where we had an amazing tarp/expen/kennel/baby sling carrier set up and took a puppy who couldn't touch the ground camping The kids have been weed whacking fence lines for the fence we are building to attach to our large chain link kennel that we augmented to serve as a goat barn long ago, watching mandatory training videos, taking a puppy out to potty every thirty minutes and rotating play times. Puppy classes start in four weeks. This is so big, having Sam join our family and is not being taken lightly- ha! Could not be taken lightly. It was really important to my family (turns out my singularly devoted porcelain princess who must be played with very delicately and follows me like a devoted angel was not fulfilling the canine needs of anyone but myself...) it is such a game changer and I wish more people got that.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!