View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
familybringsjoy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default This Texas Newbie Needs Help!

Hi y'all! I've been reading through some threads before posing anything. Boy do I have a LOT to learn. We are wanting to bring home a yorkie puppy to our family to love and care for. This will be our first dog ever (in my immediate family. I had dogs in my home growing up.) and my kids are so excited. They have been wanting one for years. My kids are 20, 17 & 13...so you understand how they are super excited as they have waited a long time.

Here's the deal, I'm a little hesitant for a couple of reasons. I'm going to share them with you in hopes that you can maybe give me some reassurance that we can still make my kid's dreams come true. My girls have always wanted a yorkie. They have already named her. She will be Bella.

My concerns:
1. We travel at least 2 weeks out of the year. I have no idea how we would handle this. I've heard horror stories on how people have put their pets in kennels and the pets were abused or neglected. I don't want that to happen. But I also don't want to stop traveling.
2. Now that my kids are almost grown (I've been a family manager most of my married life) I have decided to go back to college to finish my bachelor's degree. This means in the fall I will be going to school all day on Tuesdays & Thursdays 8-5. I'm concerned about leaving the puppy for that long amount of time, but I know there are people who work who still have pets.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback about the above reservations I have.

Lastly, since I've been doing research online I have learned about puppy mills & such. Ugh! I don't want to get a puppy who will have a lot of health issues, especially a pure breed. I had no idea how much they cost. After getting over the sticker shock, I definitely don't want to purchase a puppy who will have a lot of problems. I'm having great difficulty finding a reputable breeder locally. We live in a suburb north of Dallas. I would prefer not to have the puppy shipped to me, if at all possible. I would rather drive to pick her up.

Thank you so much for your time and feedback. It really means a lot to me.
Shannon
familybringsjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!