Thread: Microchip?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

I asked my vet about this today. She is always honest and that is one of the reasons I really like goin there.

She said that it really doesn't hurt, it is much like getting their vaccination shots. She said that it is not suppose to move from the injection site, but there have been cases of them "moving" to another spot in the animal.

She showed me the needles (yes, they are huge) and that same size is used on any size of pet. (maybe another reason why do have it done when they are already "out" for another reason - spay/neuter, teeth cleaning, etc).

One word of caution though!!! I asked about every vet/shelter/etc having a scanner and she said that some places use a newer or older scanner (sorry, can't remember) and it will pick up the chip, but it won't read the number. I think maybe there is a newer brand that doesn't read the number, so therefore, it would be pointless. She also said that if your puppy was stolen, chances of it being taken to a vet that would suspect any foul play is slim - that vet would then not feel the need to have to scan the puppy.

So, there are pros and cons (as with anything else). I think this is solely up to the person and the area in which they live.

My vet said that with me, she didn't think it was needed, but that was strictly up to me to decide - okay, she didn't come out and say, you don't need this, she just felt that the way I handle Mojo, etc. that I may never need it. I know that you just never know what might happen, so that is why I think it is up to the owner to decide.
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!