View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. Yes, she jumped up on the counter all by herself. I even watched her do it once (she didn't know I could see her.) She crouches down and just leaps up there in a single bound!

I put a bowl of water in her crate, but she didn't touch it. I think you're right about separation anxiety. I'll read up on that and see what I can do to address that directly. We will be fostering her for as long as it takes for her to be placed, so it's worth investigating. I'd appreciate any pointers or references to web sites or books that you would recommend.

Her original owner was an elderly woman who was home with Raven all day, and apparently let her do whatever she wanted. It's not her fault she's a spoiled little brat! She is very sweet and affectionate, so easy to forgive.

It's easier to track Raven's location when we're inside of the house, and opening the front door to go outside. We put her in the kitchen, and if we're quick enough, we can get out of the front door before she jumps the gate.

The problem comes when we come home and she's waiting for us just inside the door. She's happy to see us, but she's an opportunist, and sometimes heads for the stairs. We have a deep front porch, so we've put the tall ex-pen across the stairs so that if she gets out the door she won't get too far. (this was a suggestion from our dog walker - he has another client dog with the same issue). Though she has proven she can jump the ex-pen, it takes several tries, so there is time to grab her before she makes the leap.

I love the idea of installing a screen door, but our house was built in 1917 so door openings are not "standard size." I'll measure tonight and see if something might be available. My other idea was to get one of those little folding doors that you can install yourself. But I'm afraid it would be too flimsy and she'd be able to claw/chew her way through it.
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!