View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Help with a Jumping Bean!

We are fostering a 12 lb, 7 year old Yorkie who is an incredible athlete. Raven is a door darter, too, so I've been trying to keep her confined to the back of the house so that she doesn't run out when the front door is opened.

Raven easily scales the baby gate across the kitchen that we've had for years that has successfully contained our dogs plus innumerable fosters dogs.

I then tried crating her during the day and checked on her several times a day on the pet cam. She barked for 3 hours until the dog walker arrived. Then barked for another 4 hours until we got home. When released, she ran over to the water bowl and drank like she'd just crossed a desert. This went on for a few days until I just couldn't bear it any more. She was absolutely miserable and so was I!

Today, I tried blocking the kitchen with a 41" ex-pen. It took her about 3 minutes, but she kept jumping and jumping until she scaled it. (I was watching her on the pet cam).

Raven also jumps on the kitchen counter. (photo attached when our dog walker found her up there the first time) I can live with that, but am terrified she's going to get out to the street and either get lost or struck by a car.

Do you think a taller gate would work? I've looked, but can't find anything over 41" so may have to build something. Does anyone have an idea on what else I could try?
Attached Thumbnails
Help with a Jumping Bean!-ravenoncounter_50.jpg  
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!