View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
Madison6113
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joszacs View Post
Poor Charlie is really out of it but at least the pain meds are giving him some much needed relief.

Another Pancreatitis question...They said it was not necessary to withhold food even until tomorrow. They said offer him a spoonful at a time of the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal low fat. They said if he didn't want that to offer him the boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast I made him this morning with the rice. My question is has anyone else been told it was good practice to give food after a Pancreatitis diagnosis? In humans you withhold food and water for a min of 24 hours if not more. Charlie was given IV fluids so he should be ok overnight. I'm going to follow what the vet said but it seems odd to give food tonight to him. Besides the fact I have no doubt he will NOT be interested right now. He is very out of it.
We also experienced the same issue 3 weeks ago with our 9 year old Yorkie, Madison's Pancreatitis attack. She was kept overnight by our vet on an IV for fluids and pain meds. When I went to visit her in the morning, they told me they couldn't release her unless she was eating. (They could not get her to take food) It was also Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Low Fat. Fortunately, Madison ate for me (even though she was still on pain meds and a bit groggy). The vet said she should be fed very small meals (4-5 times/day) for next 3 days of the Royal Canin - then gradually mixing in a good quality low fat, lower protein kibble. Absolutely no people food or people treats ever again. When I queried why to start feeding so soon after her attack, not give her tummy a rest, they told me it was "old school" thoughts. Apparently they have studied pancreatitis in depth over the years in our fur babies and found they recover much more quickly and decisively with the new protocol. Plus, less chance of more complications and less chance of re-occurrence - providing we follow the new feeding program. I hope Charlie recovers quickly and starts feeling more like himself. I know our Madison bounced back, is her "little old self" - in spite of, of because of her new feeding regime.
Madison6113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!