View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 AM   #11
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam05 View Post
Our 11-year old has had CT for about 6 years. We first had x-rays done in 2011, and then a fluoroscopy last summer to determine exactly how severe it had become. It was stage 3, which is considered an 'end stage' - As stage 4 is complete collapse/death. We thought the end was near, but with daily Prednisone, Benadryl and Valium (to control too much excitement - which is the enemy of CT), he has done exceptionally well. He hardly 'honks' at all now, despite being Stage 3.

The most current surgery is a stent placement, but it can be very hard on your baby and after researching it thoroughly we decided it is not something we would ever put him through. The cost is anywhere from $4-6k, depending on where you have it done and how many stents are needed (based on how many of the 3 main areas are collapsing).

Side note, talk to your vet about Prednisone and possible complications of daily use (some of which can be very dangerous). One of those is Cushing's - which can cause other severe problems, vicious cycle), so please weigh the pros and cons with your vet after determining how severe your pup's case is. In our case, we could not do without the Pred because his trachea was so inflamed from the constant honking.

I would absolutely avoid intubation if at all possible. The resulting irritation can be very difficult to overcome afterward. We chose not to have Sam's teeth cleaned due to the danger and he has been fine.

My best advice (other than the medication suggestions) is to not let your pup get too excited. Too much excitement can bring on horrible honking attacks. Calm her with soothing words and much love and soft petting.

Best to you and your little one.
That's great your pup is doing so well!! He is a perfect example of what I always talk about with CT. While it is good to know how severe the collapse is, it really is not an indicator of how the pup will do. I had a pup with a profoundly collapsed trachea who lived to be about 17 (he was adopted so not sure exactly) but the CT was not what got him in the end. I have had others that didn't fare so well. One was a little Katrina pup and he spent many nights in the EC ... it is so sad when they cannot be controlled with meds. I also would probably not do the stent surgery. It usually does not last all that long .. hopefully in time it will be perfected or there might be another solution for this awful condition.

Welcome to YT
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!