View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
yorkiemini
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Wow, these are all great points! I always appreciate the information from those that breed. My interest is the health and genetics.

My second Yorkie, Cali , that I have now came to me from an excellent breeder, who was showing her, but even though she was getting the ribbons and trophies this experienced breeder recognized that she was small and probably "would not make weight".

At the time I had no idea what that meant. I learn later that really good breeders do not breed Yorkies that are under 5 pounds.

So, sharp breeder that she was she found my home for Cali, who is now 7 years old, runs agility like mad, and is a service hearing dog for me trained at a professional facility.

I have since learned more about all of this. First, when I got Cali at 10.5 months she came with a binder. It was about 1.5 inches thick with test, and genetic studies and even toy recommendations. Very complete. I thought I knew Yorkies having had one before but this binder was a real education.

When i took this pup, and her binder, to the vet she called in the other vets to see this dog (and the famous binder). They oohed and awed, and really dug into the binder. The next thing I knew they were telling me what a fine pup I had and that the cost of " all that stuff" in the binder was tremendous and that the breeder had not made a penny on this pup!

Since then I have joined the health team at the Yorkie shows and since medicine is my field I have really gotten int to it.

Bottom line, I am so grateful for the great breeder for this perfectly healthy little girl and all she has brought to my life. Comparing my previous yorkie who was fairly well bred but ended up with expensive health issues, I have learned so much. A great deal of that from the generous folks here at YT and I will now only purchase Yorkies from an experienced show breeder with much research and caring in their background. I seem to prefer their attitude and aptitude.

So every time I hear about the poor dog here on YT who needs to be surrendered due to the need for expensive health care I thank my pup's breeder

Sorry, but it has been so long, but it has been a long lessons learned!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!