View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #15
Scoobstersmom
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shicks View Post
Diana, thank you so much for the advice. Yes, my Vet said we could mix it. I will definitely with hold everything if the blood work isn't good. He has to fast for this. So maybe it will be very accurate.
Ruger seems to be very hungry later in the evening. He has a lot of engery. Keeps me on my toes constantly Ha! I will post another up date after blood work tomorrow. I hope I will know right then.
How are your babies doing with their pancreatous?
Schick, just my two cents, but I'd specifically request the Spec CPl test. It's an IDEXX test that has to be sent out, but its usually an overnight turnaround, and your vet should have the results by the next morning. The sensitivity for pancreatitis is very high, so you will know exactly where Ruger's numbers are.

I lost my little Scooby about a year and a half ago (at 16+ so he had a nice long life) but he first got pancreatitis when he was about 11. After that, he was very sensitive to any fat in his diet and was on low fat for the rest of his life. He ate the Royal Canin GI low fat, or sometimes I home cooked for him, and sometimes that wasn't even enough because he'd get little flares now and again. I got really quick at recognizing and managing them, so he did well but it took a lot of vigilance.

A bit after we lost Scooby, I rescued the little rascal in my avatar from the county shelter. He was malnourished and underweight and his digestive system was a wreck, so I'm pretty sure that's why he was surrendered. My first thought was, "Oh no! Pancreatitis again!" but after a few months of food trials and tests it turns out he has IBD. I'm not sure which is easier to manage! But once we got his gut straightened out and had him on meds and food that agreed with him, he did a complete 180. He was about two and 11 pounds of skin and bones the day we picked him up, and a year later he tops the scales at 15 pounds and is NOT fat.

Hopefully the lab work will show a perfect pancreas for Ruger, but even if it does, take my advice and take it slow introducing his regular diet back. Some dogs end up with chronic pancreatitis and it is no fun for you or him.

Diana
Scoobstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!