Thread: New mom
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

No need to worry about laughing! Lots of understanding here.

Eye discharge: what color is it? Clear, white, or brownish is relatively normal. If there is a hair in the eye, the eye will produce some thickish discharge to try to protect itself. Allergies can cause more discharge. Certain foods, unique to each dog, may produce more discharge.

When to be concerned: if your puppy is rubbing or pawing at his eyes, if he rubs his face on the floor or bedding, if the discharge is yellow or green. Gently lift the eyelid to check the white part of the eye. If there is redness, or if there is puffiness around the lids, then a vet visit is required.

If he has globs all over his eyes, might want to check with the vet. Sometimes Yorkies suffer insufficient tear production for various reasons. Or something else could be irritating his eyes.

My boys will sometimes wake up with a glob at the corner of their eyes. It's from getting their long hair in their eye at night when they snuggle. I clean it with a wet cotton ball (plain tap water) and comb with a flea comb with tightly spaced teeth.

Dandruff and flaking: what kind of shampoo and conditioner are you using?

Finding a good and trustworthy groomer: big challenge for Yorkies! I would start with recommendations from people with small dogs. Ideally, I would go to a groomer that allows me to stay and watch, especially with a small puppy. Personally, I have done all of my boys' grooming at home.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!