View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Interesting article on health testing

https://gordonsetterexpert.org/2016/...-health-tests/

A manchester Toy Fox Breeder. Has some good points to make; the rarer breeds are facing a dilemma probably earlier than the popular breeds as our gene pool to select breedings from is narrowing.

The complex question is how do you work with the results you get back, and how do you handle the consequences of your decisions with your next litter?

An interesting point she made only 200 Manchesters were shown in North America last year. Well I guess I could dig out *somehow* all AKC show enteries - subtract the duplicate dog entries - do the same for Canada and come up with a number. But I don't think I will come up with a number much different than 200+/-. Remember when you start showing your dog, you tend to go onto entering multiple shows until it is *finished* champion. Sometimes you get very lucky and it is the minimum of 3 shows winning majors of 5pts in each show and btw under two different judges. Then there are the specials finished champions that go onto show to earn top dog points. Again subtract out the duplicate entries to come to what is the potentially viable breeding pool. Then of course add back in previous years Ch's and find out who is still currently breeding.... It gets a tad complicated
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!