View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Bella is one of the 200+ standard Yorkies against which other Yorkies are compared in the Wisdom Panel DNA test . I think I told that story in the thread about the dog that looked like a Miniature Pinscher, but tested as being purebred Yorkie. I also submitted her DNA for sequencing as part of a project to determine the nature of the graying gene in Yorkies--nothing ever came of that. Always the scientist at heart .

I wouldn't take the Wisdom Panel test as gospel truth, but I think that it can give a general idea of whether or not a dog is purebred, and if not, what breeds are most likely present in its ancestry. The test is about 90% accurate (plus or minus), and I don't think that it will ever improve much more from that due to genetic overlap between breeds.

None of Bella's littermates are champions, but she has champions in her ancestry. I think that prices are lower in my part of Illinois because it is quite rural and Yorkies are not in high demand. (People have asked me, "Is that a dog???")

LOL LOL

Now I remember that thread. Not so much you had her tested - but hey why not?

I find it interesting that genetic overlap is there nothing around DNA markers or RNA or some such thing that might help differentiate different dog breeds? I think I heard somewhere there are some human markers that can give some idea of race/background?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!