View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Mom_of_Maximus
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Leaving Max At Home

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and have searched the forums to see if I could find some suggestions to my problem but didn't find anything specific.

Background: A year ago, my ex adopted a then 6 month old Yorkie (Max) from the local shelter. He had just been dropped off by an elderly woman that could no longer keep him as he was too high energy for her. She did not do much training with him. Since she provided all his vet records, Max pretty much came to us within a couple of hours of when he was dropped off at the shelter.

Within a month we had him neutered and also started potty training and teaching him some commands. However, all efforts were put on hold when we noticed he was running on three legs most of the time. He was diagnosed with Legg Calves Perths disease on his rear right leg. By the time he was 8 months old, he had the FHO surgery. For two weeks he was limited on mobility, and I started doing exercises with him as soon as the surgeon gave the ok. I focused more on his rehabilitation, rather than getting back to the training, this lasted about a month and a half.

I was just starting back with the potty training again when my ex and I split. Max was considered as his dog, even though I was the one providing most of the care. For 3 and a half months we fought over payments for the expensive surgery. During this time, my ex wasn't making very good choices in his life and Max was at the bottom of his priority list. I was finally able to convince him to give me Max if I agreed to assume responsibility of the debt. The money was never an issue for me, I wanted what was best for Max and that was to be with me where he would be loved and cared for.

During the split, I started going to therapy for a variety of reasons - stress, anxiety, depression. One of the discussion points with my doctor was how bad I missed my dog. During this time I also was staying with friends and was able to get back on my feet within 3 months of the split. I never expected my ex to actually give Max to me, and two weeks prior to him doing so I had signed a lease on an apartment where only cats were allowed. I was so happy to be back on my own and to have my dog back, but I was stuck because of the lease situation. Friends encouraged me to talk to my therapist about having Max declared as my Emotional Support Animal, which she did. My landlady reluctantly allowed Max to stay in the apartment, but she made a very negative reference to how small dogs bark a lot.

Present Time: I knew Max was going to have to start from scratch on training and I knew I couldn't leave him alone in the apartment because he barks any time someone walks in the apartment building (my unit is right next to the front door) so I started taking him to Petsmart Day Camp every day when I had to work and I'd have to get errands and whatnot done during that time too. Being at Petsmart has helped socialize him with other animals, and of course the staff loves him because he is so freaking cute so they spend a lot of time with him as well. Outside potty training was limited because this was during winter, so I started working with him on other training like commands. I've also got him trained to pee on pads, but he poops in secluded places around the apartment. Since it's been consistently warm out, I've got him to pee outside, but he doesn't tell me its time, I have to remember to take him out.

In the meantime, the Petsmart Day Camp is $21 a day and I've also had to resort to over night boarding him if I want to do anything after 830pm (This has been a challenge over the last few weeks during the Stanley Cup playoffs/finals) which adds to the cost. We've been in the apartment for five months now and he recognizes most of the sounds of the building so that barking is mostly gone, it's just when people come and go.

Between the cost and the need for a social life (I'd like to *maybe* date again , I need Max to be more independent and stay in the apartment with his cat brother. I've decided that I'm going to let my neighbors know that I'm going to start working with him on this and that this may mean more barking. We live in a 4 unit older building and noise travels.

I'm interested in any ideas you all have on how to train Max to stay at home. I've considered doing this incrementally, starting with a few minutes and then build up. I'm worried about him regressing to old habits - especially with regarding to potty training. He has never been crate trained. He would reluctantly go in his crate when I was still with my ex, but I think something happened during those months when I was gone with Max and the crate because he is extremely aggressive toward it now where he wasn't before. I can't even have it out, he starts barking at it and is very stressed out.

The ultimate goal is to get him to where he can stay at home between 4 & 5 hours at a time. I can work from home, but have been working in the office mostly over the last year. My office is near by, so I can check on him during lunch.

My apologies for the long winded post, I thought you'd appreciate knowing my baby's background when recommending any suggestions and I very much appreciate you reading this.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mom of Maximus
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!