View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #460
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmootry View Post
All of this is excellent information. However, I look at my little Mimi (3 mos) and just about cry thinking of putting her through any surgery. She is so very tiny and I can't see doing that to her. Yes, I understand the reasons behind it, but she rarely leaves the house and is never without me when she does leave the house. Today she got two vaccines and the poor thing is so out of character. Tomorrow she will be better, but that would not be the case with spay. It's not even time and I'm already sad and upset about it. Perhaps I should stop reading this stuff until another 3 months. Perhaps it will be more palatable at that time although I doubt it.
Baring other medical factors there is no extant evidence for female Yorkies that would sway me, at least, not to spay. Maybe wait until 8mths old. Many small Yorkies here do successfully undergo surgery. There is a very small risk with any surgery - but you need to look on the other side. Dealing with heats and keeping her safe 1or2 tiimes a year - and should she be accidentally bred you are looking at her life - either by emergency spay or if you go through with the pregnancy - maybe c-section - maybe she has a crisis during whelping. Just make sure your vet is up on the best anaesthesia protocols - our library here provides a link to this information.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!