View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Yes, if your little one does not go potty when taken out of the crate, you need to put him back in the crate for another 10 - 15 minutes and take him back out and keep up the regime until he does go.

Also, you may need to keep him on a leash, so that he does not play while you are out there for 45 minutes. He needs to keep his mind on his business.

The way I clicker trained Millie (assuming your pups are familiar with the clicker already) is I took her out, said "go potty" (probably had to say this several times, to re-focus her) as soon as she squatted I clicked. This sort of worked because she is very food oriented and when she heard the click, she stopped what she was doing and came for her treat. But I wanted to click at the onset of her going so she understood that was what I wanted. But a short period later, I only clicked after she was done, told her "good "go potty"" and treated her. Worked like a charm!

I sort of let up when I thought she had it, but had to go back to it again, because she started goofing off again and I wanted her to go as soon as I told her too and not hang around for her to investigate every blade of grass.

Now she has it, can go on command. This has helped immensely especially in the rain, snow and night time.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!