View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegrate View Post
Just for a laugh I tried to get him to sit and he knew what to do after the first repetition and did it straight after to get another treat without me luring him. He's certainly smart but he comes unless he's really distracted and doesn't have any prey drive to the cats next door, which he can see through the fence, is it possible to tell if he will have a low prey drive as an adult yet? If not when will I be able to make a good guess?
Thanks.
I think most Yorkies have a high prey drive. I thought I lucked out with my Scottie and from when I got him at 5 months to maybe 7 months, he was so good - never barked at anything, seemed fine with a cat he saw on the street, and never chased birds. Then it started...he became the typical yappy Yorkie and wanted to chase moving living things. My advice would be to train them young - teach them to focus on you at all times when you're out and definitely the 'leave it' command. It's much better (and easier) to prevent unwanted behaviour than to wait and see and then having to correct it afterwards.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!