View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noomi View Post
Not an expert at all, but my morkie's mom chewed off the cord too close and I was told that's what caused my puppy's hernia... It was noted by the vet that gave her the first set of shots/etc, but not larger/serious enough to cause immediate concern... I'm taking her to the vet for her second set of shots on Monday and will find out how it is now and what may be required... The first vet said that his approach would be to stitch/close it when she was being spayed to have it done but without any unnecessary extra surgery... He said it might add $50 to the cost of the spay but nothing financially overwhelming... I'm eager to see how it's changed and what the vet says on Monday so I know how you feel...
Hope someone here can offer more advice/info...
That is an umbilical hernia, as opposed to an inguinal hernia on Deviruchi's baby.

I have a real hard time with SOME breeders saying they will be there to make it right if it goes south on you....even if you get it in writing, if she moves, or disappears, or heaven forbid, dies, you are twisting in the wind by yourself. I would ask her if she will give you money off on the purchase price....half price would be appropriate...find out what that surgery runs and get that much deducted from what you are paying for the pup. That wont help alleviate the inherent dangers or risks associated with ANY surgery....have her do the surgery before you pick the pup up.....I bought a baby with an inguinal hernia many years ago...that breeder told me all about it, checked with my vet to be sure he knew what he was doing, then she deducted the cost of the surgery and price for post op care from the price of the puppy. My baby had the surgery, did absolutely fine, and lived 16 years.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!