Thread: I Want A Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Schooby
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Hi and welcome to YT .

I hate to the bearer of bad news for you....but you may want to re-do all the research bc if you're looking for a "cheap one", you've got the wrong breed. Not only are they not cheap to buy, but they can be VERY expensive to own bc of all the issues that can come w/ this breed. If you've done research, then you know all the health issues that yorkies can be prone to.

Very well said

Yorkies are AMAZING, and I love my boys more than I ever thought possible! That being said, they are very expensive to own. the cost of the pup is often the cheapest part. I'd say expect to pay at least $1000 from a reputable breeder, at least that's what I found when looking around for mine. Even if you do your own grooming, preventative routine vet care (check-ups, shots or titer testing, annual blood screening, annual heartworm testing and meds, and dentals) can easily run into the thousands for just a year. And that's just if you pup is healthy! If they get sick or hurt, it can be 10 times as much. Just to give you an example, I have 2 healthy yorkies, and just for their heartworm prevention (12 months each) and flea and tick prevention (6 months each) it's $400. I spent at least $1000 (maybe closer to $2k) on vet bills just last year, and they didn't even have dentals done last year. It was just routine stuff, plus 2 tummy bugs and a sore paw. Our guys are little, and vet care cannot wait. They depend on us to keep them safe and healthy, so make sure you have the means to take care of a pup in the event of an emergency.
Schooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!