View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I am glad the tail docking went well for you. I have heard that flour works to stop bleeding but I like to use a product called Clotisol that I get from Revival. I hope that you monitored the puppies for awhile after you docked the tails. Sometimes the momma will start licking the puppies tails and make them start bleeding again. Did you remove the dewclaws too? I can't imagine doing it as fast as you did. You could of been in a lot of trouble if the flour had not worked and the pups tails were bleeding a lot. Also little pups are fragile and so many things can go wrong.

What length did you dock them? The AKC standard calls for medium length. I usually dock mine about 1/8 of an inch beyond where the black meets the brown on the underside of the tail. I feel that many people and vets dock the tails way to short. I would prefer the tail to be a little long than to be to short.
Great post. This is one of the many reasons why working with mentor is best.

I also agree about preferring too long over too short, if tails are docked at all. I'm glad my boys' tails are on the longer side.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!