View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt's Mommy View Post
So excited we are welcoming our second Yorkie (and first female) into our family pack! She was born Friday 4/8/16 at 3 ounces, and by this past Thursday she was up to 5.3 ounces! Excited to bring her home in 11 weeks!! Trying to puppy proof the house...

Anyone have any tips on how to prepare an older Yorkie for a new pup??
I have a 10.5 yr old male Yorkie who still has as much energy as a 2 yr old Yorkie and is in perfect health. Wondering what this will be like?
Big congrats!! I recently brought home a baby sister for Scottie. It definitely wasn't love at first sight. Scottie was suuuuuuper jealous and was depressed the whole first week. Luckily he is well behaved and didn't act up. He just backed away and went into hiding I felt really really really really bad for him because I love him so much and wanted a sister for him to play with and cuddle with. But...they've very slowly warmed up to each other. It's been 3 weeks and while I thought it might have been a mistake during the first week she was home, I now feel it was the best decision ever

Casie (now 7 months) has a lot more energy and is a little obnoxious and bossy in her puppy ways and takes over all of Scottie's (2 yrs) toys and beds. Scottie being the gentleman he is, lets her. It's fun though when they play every day. They both instigate the play so the friendship is mutual, thank God!

I would recommend having two of everything - water dish, food dish, dog beds. Designate some new toys for the new puppy - maybe buy pup #1 some new toys too so he doesn't feel left out. I would also keep them separated as much as possible at first so there's less anxiety for pup#1 and make sure you give pup#1 a LOT of attention. After some time, let them get to know each other for short periods, but only after potty (very important)!

Make sure you establish somehow the hierarchy of your family pack. You're the leader and next is pup#1. So make sure you give pup#1 food first, leash him first, let him walk through the door after you but before her, etc... He'll obviously have more access than she will. And of course limit her access she has to a small confined area.

I thought I knew exactly what to do the second time around because I was experienced. But I let my confidence get to my head. Scottie and Casie are very different pups and I had to do trial and error again as in it was my first puppy. It was still quite stressful! But anyhow, 3 weeks and everyone is all settled in Hopefully yours bonds faster than mine!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!