View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Default Requiring Mandatory Renters Insurance

As you all have heard on TV, we in Texas are experiencing another "500 year flood", after less than 25 years. Parts of Houston and adjacent counties around Houston, have received 18 inches of rain over 24 hours....and some of those areas have 10-20 feet of standing flood water in their homes yet again. And.....great.....it is raining again as we speak.....

Included are residents that are also displaced with nothing but the clothes on their backs and their babies, having lost YET AGAIN, every thing they possess.

I am writing every legislator/congressman/and the Governor of Texas, pleading for laws that require these thousands of people to have flood insurance coverage in all these apartments. It can and must be done....residents of Texas can not continue to make these thousands and thousands of people whole again.....and flood insurance in Texas in apartments is ridiculously affordable....and it must be mandated that these people insure their own possessions.

My Question: In YOUR State, are you required to have Renters Insurance if you live in an apartment or rent any structure that you live in? I am trying to see if specific States require/mandate renters to have renters insurance to cover losses they may have due to flooding...... or even fires, etc....

All of us that are responsible enough to have had renters insurance....and I have had it my entire adult life, in every trailer, every apartment, every cabin I have ever rented....I have also covered storage units where I store my possessions....I STILL do it (cover storage units), and ANY argument that "it is just too much", is pure horse hockey and will fall on my deaf ears, especially as you pound on that $800.00 cell phone, drive that fancy car, have HUGE TV's in every room, multiple computers of every size, hand held communication gadgets,.....loose a TV and pay the $12.00-$25.00/month, to insure your OWN possessions!!!! Every year, MY insurance rates go up, as do the rates of everyone in the entire country, to pay for the disasters that occur all over this country. We ALL pay for the uninsured replacement costs all over the country....everyone pays for the massive destruction because of snow storms, hurricanes, forest fires, floods, etc, etc, etc....the very LEAST that should be mandated, is that every single person that lives in a structure, MUST insure themselves, to help them pay recovery/replacement costs THEY may have due to their own losses.

I have spent the entire day today, contacting every Representative in the State of Texas...everyone that has ANY power in any branch of the government in both Texas as well in Washington DC, from the Governor to the courthouse.....this issue needs to be addressed! Of all the hundreds of people that have lost everything they have in all the apartments all over the State, these people should be made to provide help for themselves in the form of insurance coverage. They may very well have to do what soooooo many of us have done....they may have to decide what is important in their lives, and insure it......I saw so many people on TV today, so exasperated and angry....they have lost everything they have....but when asked if they had insurance to help replace what they have lost, well, no they didnt know about insurance......this must be remedied and corrected. ANYONE renting any structure to any person, should be required to mandate the renter has renters insurance to cover THEIR possessions in case of disaster. My brother has a couple of care takers for his property, that rent small houses on his property in Paris Texas....they must have renters insurance. I am trying to see if other States mandate renters insurance coverage, just so I will have an idea of what I am arguing for.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!