View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheilyroman View Post
Hi All! We brought home a baby Maltese because my friend was forced to either sell or give away her baby puppies since she lives in a very strict complex. Brownie has been so tough to potty train that we really didn't want another one but my husband loves her. Now the problem is I don't want 2dogs peeing everywhere! Brownie never learned ( we both worked crazy hours) and as a result he walks around the house with a blue dog pad. I'm no longer working so I figured it's time to take the pad off. But he pees everywhere regardless. I take him out of the cage in the morning take him to the pad and he just sits on the pad while I watch him. Sometimes he even lays on the training pad. If I have to walk to the next room to do something he pees in any corner and I scream and lock him up. But this has been happening already 3 times and he never pees on the training pad. What am I doing wrong ?
We started potty training when we first got Bella at 8 weeks. What worked for us was confinement to her play area for 40 minutes (or tethered to one of us humans with leash and harness). She never peed in her play area or when she was tethered to us. Then confined to the area with the potty pad for a few minutes until she peed, followed by profuse praise and a low calorie treat. Confinement to small areas, or keeping her tethered to us, was key to our success. Also, do your potty pads have scent attractant on them? The Top Paw pads from Petsmart have scent attractant, and that seemed to help. Once they learn that they are SUPPOSED to pee on the potty pad and that that's a good thing, training will go more smoothly.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!