View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asovey View Post
I truly think that something(s) happened to him when he was with the breeder. He is less shy - especially with me - but if I talk to him in a loud voice he just cowers. There have also been a couple times when he got under my feet when I was walking around and he accidentally got kicked. Again, he just cowered and slinked away from me. He does not like my hubby, which we are working on. He will growl and bark at him and then run away. At this point I am having Don put down his food dish and give him pieces of chicken. Tomorrow I am going to a friend of mine who trains dogs and have her evaluate him. If that doesn't help I have an animal behaviorist I have worked with before and I will call him.

George has not peed today and with the snow I think I would have seen it. Hopefully when the weather is better, he will be more open to peeing. I also noticed his poops are super dry so maybe he is not drinking much water.

We will see.
The cowering and other behavior doesn't necessarily mean something negative happened. Many Yorkies are very sensitive, especially when adjusting to a new home, even under the best of circumstances.

They will hang their heads or cower, maybe even shake in reaction to a deeper voice or something out of the ordinary. Doesn't necessarily mean that they were mistreated or had a really bad experience.

His reaction to your husband may just be the result of insufficient socialization.

Be patient and positive with him. Things like having a daily routine, performing basic obedience tricks (sit, shake hands, down), and walks help build confidence.

The hydration and peeing -- might want to check in with the vet if that continues.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!