View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadinem718 View Post
Hello, I am new to this site and would appreciate any input. My 9 year old Yorkie takes Theophylline twice a day and Prednisone once a day and occasionally cough suppressant with codeine but I'm finding that her CT is not as well controlled as it used to be. Prednisone twice a day managed it well but vet and I decided to try it just once a day due to long term effects of the drug. I was wondering what medications others have had success with and would recommend. She is not overweight, I have reduced/eliminated allergens in my home in case they are triggers (no carpet, no candles, no sprays), I run a humidifier on a regular basis, keep her in AC in the summer and have a quiet household. Thank you for your help!
I honestly don't see the difference in once/day or twice/day if it helped. The best way to reduce side effects of prednisone is to dose every other day. Maybe ask your vet about that?
There are SO many different medications you can try. I personally didn't find theophylline to be much help...I tried it with a couple of pups with CT. I have had a few over the years....all different cases. It seems to me that each case is individual and what works for one may not work for another.
Sounds like you have covered all of the other things that are simple to control.
For really out of control coughing, I really like Bupranex. I have used that along with Hycodan....alternating them. For really horrible nights in one of mine I used to have syringes on hand with Ace Pro and Bupranex. It zonked him out, but saved him from an EC visit..usually snapped him out of the coughing.
I also used Lomotil successfully. If you vet has not heard of using it, it is in Kirk's Veterinary manual. I believe I have a copy of it here if you would like it.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!