View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
delicatepuzzle
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default megaesophagus + hind leg limp + muscle atrophy

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Long story short (extended version to be posted with more detail later)

I have a 7 yo Biro Biewer (looks the same as a chocolate parti yorkie) she has been a relatively healthy dog until late Jan 2016. I first noticed a tiny limp on her left hind leg. So small people thought I was nuts. Everything else was fine. Went to the vet when she started losing her appetite Xrays seemed fine so we were sent to Ortho. He put her on Rimadyl (NSAID like Aleve for dogs) which led to a Bleeding Ulcer/bloody stool/HGE. Landed us in the ER. Xrays showed mineralization at her pyloris (end of her stomach start of her intestines). Sent home 24 hrs later with IV fluids, carafate, and flagyl (antibiotic). Still limping, not eating, and increased salivation follow up visit with the vet checked for Addison's (blood test negative) and another chest xray (clear lungs, still mineralization at pyloris) sent home on broad spectrum antibiotics. Finished antibiotic and a day later she had 3 episode of blood streaked soft stool. Vet sent us home on flagyl again, carafate and chicken and rice homemade meals.
Stool improves but still has limp, increased salivation and not eating (she has been syringe fed pureed chicken and rice or top quality canned food this whole time).

We are now seeing docs at UF Vet Clinic in Gainsville. New Xrays showed megaesophagus, with all her other issues this sounds like Myasthnia Gravis (titer ran, looks negative) so now we are seeing Neurology next week.

Anyone else heard of or dealt with this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ellauf.jpg (112.9 KB, 18 views)
delicatepuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!