View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Jellymint
Senior Yorkie Talker

Love Monty + Giaridia + Contamination!

Monty has 2 friends that he has played with in their homes. My neighbour's Malti-poo Loki 8 months and my daughter's Chocolate Lab Joplin 4 years. When I discovered that Monty had giardia, I was very concerned that he had given it to both of his friends. Loki came back negative and I was very relieved. He has since moved up north to Prince George, we miss him!!

I was mostly concerned about my daughter dog though. As giardia is zoonotic and can be transmitted to people, very concerned because she is currently listed for a double lung transplant.

2nd set of test results came back 2 days ago and Joplin is NEGATIVE! I can't even begin to describe how relieved I am. Seriously. On so many levels!

We discovered Monty had Giardia around the 8th of February. So I had Joplin tested around then. Negative. But it can take 5 - 12 days for it to be detected in stool so I had her tested again. The test was the more expensive one that not only tested for cysts in the stool but giardia antigens as well. She is clear! Whew!

Not that it is the end of the world but ... Joplin is a big dog with big energy! She is taken daily to the beach where she runs with other dogs and retrieves balls from the water. She gets good exercise. The thought of having to isolate her and try and wear her out without the aid of other dogs was a nightmare. I live almost an hour fro my daughter and she doesn't drive! Eeps!!

Smile. This is one of the best features of having such a wee one. I take Monty for an hour walk and after the initial 20 minutes of sniffsniffsniffbreaksniffing ... I can get a good clip going. In fact I am beginning to do 1 minute jogging spurts with him! He's so cute. He matches my pace and keeps the same distance.

Monty and Loki
IMG_5862.JPG IMG_5871.JPG

Monty and Joplin
Monty Joplin 2 copy.jpg
zJoplin Monty copy.jpg
Jellymint is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!