View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
yorkiesmiles
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Wow, thanks for all the good input. She did get her ACT scores last Thursday - she scored a 34 - she had 35 in science & english, a 34 in reading, but "only" a 31 in math.

She wants to get with a tutor and really work on the math and take the ACT again - she wants the 36!! (she's not really a perfectionist about most things, but she sees this as fun - and some great challange to meet )

So many decisions to make about colleges. I had her write out a description of her ideal college and its characteristics, so she can keep that in mind when we go on college visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifer
going to an Ivy may sound like "fun", but there is also a lot of hard work involved.
That's how I feel about the Ivy leagues - it sounds prestigious, but is that the best place for her? She knows she wants to be somewhere rigorous as she is used to that type of learning enviornment - but I also think college needs to be a good time.

The good news about applying to multiple schools now in this technology age is that many universities use what is called a common application - so it cuts down on the # to fill out and many colleges will wave the application fees if you apply online

To sneri13, yes we have the Princeton review guide - very helpful and we've been looking at US News and world Reports. I pray your son gets positive response to U of Mass- Amerherst. I'm hoping we can schedule a time to come to the east coast and look at schools while they are still in session.

We leave next week to visit Union University (Christian college in Tenn.), Vanderbilt, Emory, Mercer in Macon, Ga., Rice Univeristy, Baylor, Oral Roberts and Washington U in St. Louis - so you can see we are visitng a wide variety of schools - and putting too many miles on the car, and probably the mom - lol

Oh, troubletb, you sound like my mom!! My folks built a house in Sarasota about 6 years ago and moved down there full-time about 4 yrs - they expected my daughter and I to move too, and all my mom talks about is the tuition-incentives to live in Florida and go to college. I started filling out the fastweb info a couple of weeks ago - but I think my daughter needs to answer most of their questions. Were you able to get linked with scholarships that your daughter received because of fastweb?

Dan, wow congrats on all your accomplishments! My daughter is also interested, like you, in molecular biology, or perhaps bioethics. I appreciate what you have shared about your experience. My brother wants my daughter to look at Duke - just too many schools to choose from.

Of course we have two of the top science schools in the country right here in Iowa - Iowa State University (hey, did you all know that is where the computer was invented?!) and the University of Iowa ( yeah, go Hawks! ) She says they are both too big - I'm lucky if I can get her to look at a school in Iowa, because she thinks it would be fun to live somewhere else, then come back here.

Of course, I remind my daughter she can go to my undergrad alma matar - Drake University - big bonus (for me) we only live about 18 blocks away - lol

I really appreciate everyone who has posted - you all had valuable things to share. This is the first time I've really asked for advice on YT - or posted in off-discussion - so it is heart warming to read all the great things you had to say!

Yorkiesmiles
yorkiesmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!