View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleslie View Post
Gemy- We actually have not seen a neurologist (yet anyways). The ortho vet seemed confident he had an ACL tear & his actions were due to pain from the injury. We were also advised that neurological testing is very expensive & many conditions are not treatable which is why we chose to hold off & hoped symptoms would resolve with healing of the ACL injury. It's mostly his injured leg that slips out from under him, but sometimes (esp in the morning) both legs do which I assume is caused by his non-injured hind leg not being able to compensate for his injured leg? I appreciate your insights & any other advice you may have.
I did not experience double leg collapse with my boy who had a ACL tear. Actually never when it was acute even. How-ever I did experience this with a boy of mine with Degenerative lumbo sacral syndrome a boney condition which causes neuro symptoms - and yes we had an MRI to ideally confirm diagnosis.

And for sure neuro testing is expensive this I do know. But there are options you could explore such as conservative medical management - ask if he is a candidate = many small breeds can ideally be suitable for this. And yes TPLO surgery comes with attended risks of all surgery including infection after surgery and there are a couple of studies which show about a 40% effective rate of return to normal function and well arthritis still sets in the joint..... Now by the way conservative medical management is not cheaper well at least in my experience to surgery = but it did work in our case - as an owner you need to get the dog out to and for physio = do the exercises at home and support the joints with the proper supplements.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!