Thread: Pancreatitis
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #10
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Your poor dogs! I hope they are feeling better soon. I agree with Ladyjane, you shouldn't let them go that long with diarrhea. I'm thinking the original food you were feeding them wasn't really agreeing with them since you said they sometimes have diarrhea for a few days them goes away. It's not healthy to have watery or loose stools. Their poop should always be small, firm, and not too smelly.

If it was pancreatitis, it def can be fatal and it's a very painful condition, and if had once, whatever the trigger is, can trigger again next time with much less. Uni has had it twice. Though she is not on rx food, but she is on a lower fat kibble. A friend of mine's yorkie had it a few months ago and almost didn't make it. She's on rx food now for life. I actually had it late last year. Though it was from alcohol, and dogs don't drink alcohol. It was seriously the most painful thing I ever experienced. I was in ICU for over 4 weeks, so it just astonished me that dogs are usually treated "outpatient" and sent home. I feel SO bad I let Uni go through it twice after experiencing it myself! I'm sure she is still in a lot of pain if it is pancreatitis. I'm surprised she wanted to eat too. That's a good sign.

Just be vigilant about the treats. You can most definitely give veggies or fruits as treats. We hardly ever have real dog treats here at home. If we do, it's either a free sample or a gift from a friend. We never buy treats. Ours love tomato, watermelon, Korean pears (their favorite!), lettuce ribs, green beans, carrots, etc. Make sure you wash and peel all raw veggies you give them. Like the cucumber scare a few months ago. The love cukes too, but i make sure I wash and peel.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!