View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Jellymint
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Giardia! What an adventure!

I bought my 8 month old Monty on Kijiji from a lady who had him for 48 hours. She did a pet store impulse buy and was going to take him back to the pet store ... nope! He has been with that pet store for 5 months of his 8 month life and those wee behaviour problems will just get worked out with me. Smile. Little sweetie.

I picked him up on Sunday Jan 31 and on Tuesday I took him to the vet to set up an appt to get him neutered. We went over all the paperwork I got from the lady I bought him from ... the paperwork she got from the pet store. Found out he was born at a breeders in Arizona end of May 2015 and was bought by a pet store in Burnaby BC August 2015. He has basically bounced in and out of that pet store since then. Awww.... nod nod.

I was asking if he had had all his shots on time, worm and flea etc etc when I noticed the 2 meds he had prior to leaving the states. The vet said they are common meds for giardia and another one I can't remember. I had asked how do we know they are gone and he said only through a poop test. Hmmm.... Then I found out that it can be transmitted to humans. ***RED LIGHT***

My daughter has just been put on the transplant list for a double lung transplant and I have been spending a lot of time with her and her chocolate lab!! She can not be exposed to anything that would compromise her further than she is. So that day I hung out with wee Monty until he had a nice healthy poo and we scooped and submitted for testing.

He is completely healthy! No diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy etc etc. Apparently he is asymptomatic, a carrier if you will. Needless to say I have learned a WHOLE lot about giardia, never heard of it before and it is so so so common!!

I got the call that Monty does indeed have the wee beasties feasting away inside of him so began his treatment on Saturday. Have been disinfecting my apt. And washing his little backside after each bowel movement to ensure he doesn't re-infect. Whew!!

Then to my horror - I realized that I have been giving him one of the meds, the panacur, 2x daily instead of 1x daily! Good gods! Thankfully I only did it for 2 days but oh my word ... 2 days! I scoured the internet and finally found a number for an emergency vet hospital and called it in. She reassured me. Going to my vet first thing in the morning.

I have had him for just over a week now and we have bee going out for long walks daily. Tonight he is bagged. Sleeping so soundly. Since about 7. Not used to him being so crashed. Worried. He is eating fine, drinking fine, peeing fine, pooing fine, no soreness in his body, walking steady ... just tired. And I am trying not to freak out ... sigh.

Never had a small dog before. Brand new territory. Feel like a brand new Mom! Well I suppose I am! Glad I found this site...
Jellymint is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!