View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
Mom_of_Maximus
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I just recently went through this with my yorkie.

The ADA does not recognize ESA's, only certified service animals.

The Fair Housing Act does recognize ESA's like a service animal.

As for registering your ESA, it's not required. There are several places that do that. I can see the benefit, if you take your dog somewhere and someone asks questions. From my understanding though, if they ask, you're just suppose to tell them you have an ESA and that's it. They can't ask any further unless your dog has a behavior problem and then you will be asked to leave.

I spoke with my therapist about designating Maximus as my ESA. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and that is what I see a therapist for. I recently went through a bad breakup with an ex which sent my lifelong anxiety through the roof, and another part of what made it so bad was the ex was keeping the dog. Max was his dog, but I took care of all the responsibilities for him from the time my ex got him. I became very attached to the dog, and was very anxious and stressed about losing him and about his care since he had recently had the FHO surgery on his right rear leg.

After a 3 month fight over paying the surgery bills, my ex offered me Max if I paid the bills. The problem was that I had just signed a lease on an apartment that did not allow dogs. I was so happy to have the opportunity to have my dog back, but devastated that I couldn't take my dog with me.

Friends in the mental health field encouraged me to talk with my therapist, since she knew how much the dog meant to me and how by having him it would help significantly with treating my condition. I felt uncomfortable about it at first, because I didn't want it to look like I was cheating the system, but after speaking with my therapist she told me about ESA's and that yes she felt that Max would be an excellent ESA for me.

She wrote a letter and I spoke with my landlord. My landlord had concerns about "yappy dogs" and barking, but I assured her that wouldn't be a problem since I would be putting him in daycare at least 3 days a week. She did tell me that I need to work with the neighbors in my building about any noise concerns. I am vigilant about that because I don't want any reason for her to say Max is too noisy and make me rehome him... that wouldn't happen anyway, I would just move. My apartment is right next to the main door of the building, so when anyone comes or goes he lets me know. Especially in the middle of the night... :/ So far, it hasn't been a problem.
Mom_of_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!