View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
20milehike
YorkieTalk Newbie!

They were good to work with. Better than many others I had talked to before we bought this dog. Quite a few were simply dismissive. Acting like I was dirt if I dared to ask about how many dogs they had for their breeding program, how they were maintained, worked and played with. I do prefer small breeders who only have periodic litters over the larger breeders who simply would not have time to play, work and train all their dogs. Strange mental qwerks pop up in dogs who spend too much time in a kennel/pen without human and other dog interactions. Myself, every dog is a pet who gets to run around the house and be part of the family. I think finding a reputable breeder who you can work with becomes one of the more difficult parts of either finding a regular dog to purchase as a pet, or to find breeding stock. I constantly come across internet enquiries who ask for information on reputable breeders of Yorkies. At this point I do not know enough about Yorkiemath to make an accurate comment on her viability as a good breeder. It is all too easy for any bad breeder to put up a nice web page, good wording and cute pictures. It is how they deal with you during tough times like these which separate those doing it for money and those doing it for better breeding.

On that note, I am trying to establish what a good breeding practice is with regards to the number of litters a female dog should have during the course of her life. My own gut feeling is that 3-4 is the most she should ever have, allowing at least one menstration period to occur after any litter, before breeding her again. I think we need to take into account that these are our pets, and not just baby machines.

I was in a skiing accident 6 years ago which landed me in a wheelchair for life. My paralysis from the broken back, is from the chest down and effects my balance considerably. Although not impossible, showing dogs at events can be difficult for me as simply going over rough ground, during outdoor shows, can be very difficult. In the future, my kids may get old enough that they gain an interest in showing the dogs and then I may have the ability to do that. Luckily the disability in no way really effects my relationship with my dog (was dog's). She is more than happy to sit on my lap while I run around the house. She is somewhat protective of me when strangers come around until she has sniffed them and gotten my verbal okay. A 6 pound fuzzy guard dog. As per any good dog stock she has never bitten anyone for any infraction, including taking her bones and food away. 5 minutes after meeting anyone, she wants to sit on their lap and be played with or patted.
20milehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!