View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #3
4OC
Senior Yorkie Talker

Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLynnC View Post
Hi All, Lily and Luke are now 8 months old. Started training about 6 weeks ago to get use to harness, then with a leash and trying to walk them around the house. Then took them outside in the driveway. Luke is making a lot of progress; however, Lily is not. She sits, then lays down, won't follow Luke or my Poodle either, treats do not interest her all the time. If she is on all four feet and walks any - usually maybe 6 inches then she sniffs everything 100 times before she moves an inch. Have tried getting in front of her, calling, showing treats, nothing. DH blows off the driveway before we leash train just to give her less stuff to smell and try to pick up. Think she is waiting for us to get her a satin pillow and just carry her around - Gotta love these Diva Girls. - Suggestions please - we are using the Buddy Harness.
BAD HUMAN )!!! You carried her every where mostly. I know I did this same thing with Prince Charming!!!!!!!!
Actually you waited too long before beginning their training BUT all is not lost --it will just be a battle of the wills.
Steps:
1. Get a clicker. I Iike the ones that go around my wrist the best but all of them work.
2. Put her in her harness AND click. If she does not like most treats you can use praise after the click. Use oral praise keep petting for when you 2 are having special time on your lap.
3. Do this 5 times a day for 7 days. She will get the message the clicker means mommy / daddy is happy with what I just did!
4. Buy a chain leash and CUT OFF the leather handle as some of these are not leather and can be dangerous for dogs to chew on.
5. Put the leash on the harness and let her drag it around the house for at least 5 days before going for a walk with her. Continue to take your boy for his walk WITHOUT saying anything to her. She will get whatever message you send. Be excited with your boy when you get your boy ready and are going out the door and down the driveway.
6. Take your walk and get all excited when you are near you drive so she discovers that you and your boy had fun. After 3 days try taking her for a walk alone. If she still balks take her back into the house again and take your boy for his exciting walk.
7. Repeat! Repeat! Repeat! As often as needed but usually 2 weeks is a long time.
8. If you follow every step and it does not work to solve her resistance please pm me and I will give you more help. I do not post the extra help as We do not want anyone to skip this part of the training as it usually will work EVEN for our Yorkies.
Please know that I am a professional trainer and train service dogs for the disabled.
4OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!