View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Another interesting article Food for thought

Vets vs. Breeders: Partners or Enemies?

You knowI love to read and then be exposed to things I either have not thought about before - or the article provides me with a new way or slant of thought.

It seems obvious to me that getting into vet schools or even to Veterinary Associations annual conferences would be a good goal for breeders to have.

So lets talk - why do we have so much angst in trying to defend the sport of dog showing? Do we truly believe that it is just a beauty show with no intrinsic value to it?
Did we lose our faith because we chalked up every loss as *why it is just politics at play? Did we lose our faith because of un-even judging? And do we not have a role to play in educating those judges? Is it not our responsibility to get onto our breed club to develop and then deliver good judges education about *our breed*.

I have had the opportunity to show dogs under some wonderfull judges - about a handfull in my 10yrs in the sport. When I say wonderfull I mean their knowledge of the breed and how to assess the dog and to give due time to each dog under their hands. Excellent ring control. Recognition and designing for the breed an appropriate go around and down n back. I was mentored once at a very large show my first indoor show in the US by a very famous judge who was actually stewarding when I showed my first boy in puppy class. I will never forget her kindness to me and wow what an example of what the show fancy should be.

I can tell you when I see a fit dog in the ring. I can pick out those dogs with for want of a better term - have the show presence! I can see so much more now than 1oyrs ago. The behind the ring support and yes sometimes gossip.

I know the many hours that go into training a dog for the show ring. Of course we are not *just* training for the show ring - but developing and observing and evaluating our breeding stock. Keeping our dogs in superb form shape and health is our responsibility.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!