Thread: Stank beard.
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
About once every one or two weeks, when Bella has an empty stomach, she will hawk up some clear stomach juices. It's not a problem to clean up the floor or carpet, but some of the juices get caught in her beard, resulting in a strong sour smell that I call "stank beard." Two questions:

(1) Does anyone think that infrequent vomiting of clear liquid could be a sign of a health problem, and if so, what? She doesn't seem in any pain otherwise, and goes about her daily business--eating, playing, pooping, etc.

(2) Are there any good remedies for the sour smell that gets stuck in her beard in between baths? I can't seem to get the smell out without giving her a full bath. I've tried washing her face with a wet towel, but that doesn't seem to help much, and once it's dry, the smell is set until she gets a complete bath.
I just called my vet and got a preliminary answer to question 1. The vet thinks it is because her stomach is empty, and that causes mild stomach upset. The vet suggested that I make sure that Bella has a snack before bedtime so her stomach stays full all night, and see if that relieves her symptoms. (She usually vomits in the morning, before she's eaten.)

If that doesn't work, I am to call back in three weeks and discuss giving her omeprazole (generic prilosec). I think if that's the case, I will bring her in for a checkup, just to be sure nothing else is wrong. (Right now, her vomiting is very infrequent.)

I still need an answer to my question about what to do about "stank beard." I've read other threads where people talk about the beard smelling like a sour dirty dish towel, and that is accurate. None of the threads discussed how to get rid of the smell, though.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!