View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
lhuizar
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Help Young Puppy Biting

Hello.

This is my first post and I am very excited! I have a new little puppy Yorkie that I got on Jan. 2, 2015. Her name in Penny. She is a very smart girl, she already learned "sit" and how to play fetch. When I bought her the breeder told me she was 8 weeks old but that she did not have paperwork for it. I believed her and brought her home. When I took her to the Vet, a week after I got her, the Vet let me know that her k-9's were barely coming in and that she was no more than 6 weeks. I asked the breeder when her birthday was and she said November 30th. This confirmed the Vet's estimate. She is starting to learn to relieve herself outside or in her litter box, but she still has accidents. Which is completely understandable given her age.

The only problem I have with her is that she bites!!! I did some research online and I now know that puppies learn to control their biting from their siblings and mother at 6 to 8 weeks. Since I brought Penny home during that time she did not learn this. I tried three methods that I found online and they have not worked.

1) Lightly tapping her nose when she bites, but she thought I wanted to
play more and she bite me harder.

2) Yelling every time she bites me and making my hand go limp. This is
what her siblings would have done, but I don't think she understands
it coming from me because she keeps trying to bite my "limp" hand.

3) Stop playing with her as soon as she bite too hard. But that doesn't
seem to work either because once she starts to get excited again she
starts to bite hard.

I am going to put her in puppy classes to see if this helps but she is still young. I was also thinking of asking my brother if she could have a puppy play date with his puppy, but when Brody (my brother's dog) first met Penny he did not like her very much. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on how to stop this bad habit. As more teeth come in her biting gets more painful!
lhuizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!