Thread: Counsel Needed
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiefan_ View Post
I wouldn't buy from a breeder who would sell me a yorkie at nine weeks. I ended up getting Cookie at 14 weeks and yorkies are still handfuls even then. My girl was a large pup at 14 weeks (about ~3.5 pounds) and I was still watching her like a hawk for hypoglycemia and giving her Nutrical a few times those first 3-4 weeks. I can't imagine what watching a smaller pup at nine weeks must be like. Plus Cookie was so well socialized with people when I got her at 14 weeks, she took to me the first hour I had her. I imagine if I had gotten her at 9 weeks she might be too scared and wouldn't be well socialized to people yet.
Our Bella was 2.1 pounds when we got her at 8 weeks. We had to watch her like a hawk, but even then we didn't know about hypoglycemia until she started showing signs of uncontrollable shaking during the first week we had her. We had to call the vet, who told us it was an emergency situation, and to give her karo syrup or honey, or whatever sugar source we had on hand to stabilize her. We gave her karo syrup, and it worked like a charm within just a few minutes. We took her to the vet anyway, and they gave her a clean bill of health, but told us to watch out for hypoglycemia in the future. She only had one more episode a few days later. We had nutrical on hand after that, but Bella HATED it, so we treated her hypoglycemia by rubbing karo syrup on her gums, and she tolerated that well.

Bella's breeder kept her in a home situation, so she was probably well socialized because of that. She was on us like a tick on a hound from day one. But we got to choose her from among five other littermates, and we chose her because she seemed the friendliest and most well adjusted. We probably just got lucky. One of Bella's brothers ran from us and hid under the furniture at the breeder's. I always wondered how he turned out...
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!