Thread: Counsel Needed
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I have not ever made it a practice of speaking badly against a specific breeder, however there are practices that I do not go along with. I do not believe a yorkie puppy should leave momma until at least 12 weeks of age....I keep mine until ALL puppy shots are given and a week has passed to be certain there is NO issues from the final shot given, so my babies go out at 15 weeks of age. Shots given prior to 8 weeks of age are useless....puppy is still covered with mommas immunity at that age....so first shot at 8 weeks of age, second shot at 11 weeks of age, third in the series at 14 weeks of age. I personally would not accept a puppy that has had TWO puppy shots by the time it is 9 weeks old....way, way too young.

8-14 weeks of age is when we really begin to run into issues with puppies, if there are going to be any. That is why most casual "breeders" dump babies at 6-8 weeks of age....they escape having to finance the really expensive part of a baby's young life....those expenses and concerns for "early childhood diseases" become YOUR problem.....parvo is a real issue and 6-14 weeks of age is when this disease is a very real concern for babies.....in my opinion, you are stepping off into a mine field getting this baby, essentially unvaccinated since anything BEFORE 8 weeks of age is null and void.
Good points about parvo and the vaccinations as well. We kept Bella in our house 24/7, until she had received ALL of her vaccinations, and we waited until four weeks after her final puppy shots before taking her to the groomer for the first time, just to be sure. See if the breeder will hold the dog for you until 12 weeks.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!