Thread: Counsel Needed
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethel View Post
Hello,

I'm going to meet a male Yorkie puppy tomorrow from a breeder that I found on the YTCA website. He comes with a health guarantee against Liver Shunt, Heart Murmur, and Collapsed Trachea.

He will be 9-weeks old and receive his second set of shots, so the breeder says he is ready to go home with me. Two other pups from the same litter are leaving tomorrow as well.

In general, on-line info says that puppies should not leave at 6-weeks, but 9-weeks seems to be okay. However, the info that I read here and on the YTCA website says that Yorkies should not leave until they are 12-weeks old.

The YTCA says that a puppy should not leave prior to 12-weeks because of "problems that may occur with a younger puppy". What problems might I run into?

Should I pass on this puppy? I'm very new to the Yorkie world, so any advice is appreciated.

I went out last night and bought all the puppy supplies, so I'm ready. However, this is a large investment for me, and I don't like the unsettled feeling that I'm having right now...

Thanks for your help,
~Bethel
We got our Bella at 8 weeks. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the possibility of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Bella had two episodes of hypoglycemia, but pulled through with no problems. You have to be aware of the symptoms, and have nutrical or karo syrup on hand for emergencies, and food needs to be available at all times. Also, people say that they are better socialized if you get them at 12 weeks, although Bella turned out great. Could you purchase him and ask the breeder to hold on to him until 12 weeks of age? You might point out that the YTCA recommends 12 weeks... The health guarantee is great, though.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!