View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Something most pet owners will face

5 Things This Tech Wishes You Knew Before Euthanizing | DrAndyRoark.com

This is a topic we as humans rarely discuss or prepare for - but it is highly likely if you are *lucky* enough to have the supreme duty happen for you-you can do some planning ahead.

Beyond what is in the article; think about if you want at home euthanasia. The vet comes to you. Your dog is surrounded by you - the other pets in your family and a totally familiar environment. Then see if those services are available to you in the area you reside. Check out if the services are available 24/7 and on a last minute basis. I wish I had thought to inquire about that when my Zoey had to be put to sleep.

In the article it talks about trying to celebrate your dogs life - that might just be beyond your emotional strength to do at the time. But comfort and love and letting every touch of yours be filled with the love you feel - that is something I do feel very capable of giving.

Be prepared to answer how your dogs remains are to be treated. Single cremation - burial - group cremation? Do you want a memorial statue or some other marker? And BTW know the bylaws in your area. Some areas particularly cities do not allow you to bury your dog on your grounds.

The day of; if possible go with a close loved one - I drove to the vets office all in control - after I needed to be driven home. I do think having a meal prepared in advance or at least some stuff in the freezer you can quickly heat up is great.

One way to think about this is just like in those happy days of preparing for your pups arrival, we do also have the responsibility to think and plan for end of life decisions.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!