Thread: Sick pup :(
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Chueys Momma
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Unhappy Sick pup :(

My 4lbs baby currently is 7 years old 3 months. About a week and a half ago we noticed that he wasn't eating all of his food - he was eating about half. We decided to take him in for some blood work. The next day, she called and said he needs to come in immediately! His calcium, magnesium, and protein were VERY low, and his white was very high! I brought him in with the intention of him staying there for a few days for them to get his numbers up and find a solution to our problem (my dumb butt was thinking he needed different food, maybe a supplement?). That evening the vet called and asked me to come pick him up and take him to the emergency room because he needed to be monitored overnight because he had began vomiting while he was there. I took him to the ER for the night and he began having diarrhea. The ER called me in the middle of the night (scary call to get) and asked if I was willing to send him to an internal medicine doc for extra testing and an ultrasound first thing the next day. We did - the test had to be sent to Michigan State to test for hypoparathyroidism, and the U/S they found that his gut was inflamed and wanted to get a biopsy, and since they were not comfortable with his healing ability going the surgery route he had to get an endoscopic biopsy. All in all, he ended up staying in ICU for 7 days. Turns out the poor baby has hypoparathyroidism - which is a condition where the body does not absorb calcium. He will be on Calcitriol for the rest of his life. I am thinking that since he has this condition, his gut has not been able to operate correctly and over time has established this inflamed gut. Biopsy results should be back today so we will have more answers with that aspect hopefully. Last night was his first night home and boy was it tough. He has so many meds to take, still has diarrhea, and is so far showing no interest in food. Poor thing just wants to lay next to me and sleep. We are thinking it will take a few days for him to get back to somewhat normal after being on an IV for 7 days. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Chueys Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!