View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
yavenay
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default My little genius has picked up another command

My little one is learning not to cross the street without my command. I started teaching her this after she took off across the street to get to another dog. She pulled the leash right out of my hand.
What I started doing is before I want to cross a street I tell her to stop. I do this even when we are in my driveway. When we are ready to cross, I slap my knee twice and say let's go.

I started doing this just on a whim but it is actually working. When we walk our normal walks along our normal routes, she stops on her own without me giving her the command to stop whenever we reach the corner or if we are standing at the curb waiting to cross. I love it because she will not cross the street unless I give her the command. Pretty cool right? Sometimes I forget that we are about to cross the street and she will just come to a dead stop. I think something is wrong and then I remember, she is not allowed to cross the street unless I give her the command. I'm not sure if this will ever save her life but it's kinda of cool that she is learning when to cross the streets (in my neighborhood at least since that is where we do all of our walking).

I am actually also training her from reacting to seeing other dogs so that she doesn't try to take off after them in the first place. Keep in mind she is always on leash when we are outside but on two separate occassion she pulled the leash out of my hand. Of course now I hold to it that much harder.
yavenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!